Friday, January 16, 2009

"I Could Do Anything, If I Only Knew What It Was"

Could there be a more perfect book title for how I feel about my career-life?  I bought this book of off amazon.com earlier this week and it came in the mail yesterday.  I dived into it during lunch and am finding that it is a great book for people like me.  The entire first chapter focuses on what you think other people want you to do.  Its always interesting to analyze the past and see how it affects your present.

One question that I always have issues with is what would I do if money did not matter.   A few years ago I would have said that I wanted to open a bookstore.  That dream has been shot down over the past few years for several reasons.  One is that people just don't shop at bookstores as much as they used to and at least around me, all of the smaller bookstores have gone out of business.  Issue two is the Kindle and other electronic readers . Chris has been telling me for years that one day soon bookstores are going to go out of style all together.  While I don't think that is entirely true when I found myself wanting a Kindle not too long ago I realized that he may be right.

Ok, so that is what I would do in a perfect world where everyone loves to read actual books.  I worked in a bookstore for years and loved it.  I love being surrounded by books.  Now we know that I love books and love to travel.   I also have a thing for writing papers, but I have obviously gotten out of practice.   I can't stand writing ficitional stories, but I love to read them.  Where do we go from here?  Well I just signed up for an online welcome to editing class at the local community college.  It's a start, even if it is a total bust, it is still something different.

In other news this morning I completed the Self-Slim and Sleek Fast video.  It was had a lot more dancing then your regular aerobic video so the gymnast in me naturally dug it.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to have my own bookstore. It would be amazing to be surrounded by books all day.

    Love the blod background, so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need that book!
    I'm going through sort of the same dilemma right now...
    you're so right about being around books. I also love them. I love bookstores, libraries, anywhere full of books. Actually I get nervous in bookstores, I wanna buy everything. there's something special about owning books. the feeling of opening a brand new volume...

    ReplyDelete