Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Chicken Skin



Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Body Creme, 4-Ounce Jars (Pack of 3)
I swear this isn't becoming a beauty blog but stay with me for a minute.  In my mid-twenties during the infertility years I developed chicken skin on the back of my arms.  We noticed it after my first miscarriage, I am not sure if that is when it started but that is when it started looking downright awful.  I asked my dermatologist about it and he just told me it was rosacea and that there was nothing I could do.  Fine, I had enough going on that the back of my arms was the least of my worries.

Things have clearly calmed down and Chris knows how much my arms bother me-between the scaring from the mole excisions and the red bumps on the back of my arms I was always trying to hide them so he did some research.  He finally came to the conclusion two months ago that this was not rosacea but Keratosis Pilaris aka chicken skin.  I did some googling and decided he was right and during my research I found this wonderful and cheap product.  Yes, it's just Eucerin Intensive Repair Creme which you can get for $6-7 dollars in the drug store.   It contains lactic acid, a much gentler AHA than glycolic acid, and it is supposed to unclog your pores which will stop keratin from building up and creating chicken skin.  Or something like that.  No matter what science is going on all I know is that this stuff works!  After two weeks my one arm was clear and the other looked much better.  Two months later and I have almost zero chicken skin areas on the back of my arms and the only reason I have any is because it started looking so good that I forgot to use the cream and it started coming back.  If this is too gentle for you there is also a product called KP Duty that can be found online or at Sephora.  It contains "potent" levels of glycolic acid and is $36 for 4 oz.

No comments:

Post a Comment